Sacramento, CA (April 6, 2020) – During times of crisis, it’s more important than ever to preserve the bonds that matter most, such as those that bind pets and their humans. As the number of people affected by COVID-19 continues to rise, RedRover is providing needed resources to ensure that people can still care for the animals they love during this crisis.
RedRover’s new Emergency Boarding grant program helps animals who need temporary boarding while their owners are hospitalized due to the novel coronavirus. The grant will cover the cost of up to two (2) weeks of boarding while a pet owner is being treated. This new program was supported by a generous donation from Purina – RedRover’s Purple Leash Project partner.
Nicole Forsyth, RedRover President and CEO, states, “Preserving the human-animal bond is at the heart of what we do. During these trying times we are thankful for Purina’s support for our new emergency boarding grants to help pet owners hospitalized with the coronavirus. Knowing a pet is well cared for will hopefully bring some peace of mind to those undergoing COVID-19 treatment.”
To become eligible, a pet owner or guardian must follow these steps:
- Before submitting an application, contact local boarding facilities (kennels, veterinarians, animal shelters/humane societies, etc.) to find reasonably priced options
- Ensure boarding is done through a business, not an individual.
- Establish a plan for how the animal’s needs can be met.
- Confirm boarding facility will provide a written estimate and a final invoice once the animal leaves boarding.
- Obtain permission from the pet owner if someone else submits an application.
- Provide updates on the pet owner’s situation if requested.
- Note – RedRover covers vaccination costs that are needed for the animal to enter boarding. Any veterinary requests beyond vaccinations will be taken on a case-by-case basis.
- Both the applicant and the animal must live in the United States.
- Submit an online application at https://redrover.org/relief/emergency-boarding-grants/.
RedRover recognizes the fluidity of the novel coronavirus pandemic and will continue to follow expert recommendations concerning COVID-19 as it relates to pets.
Continuing in their efforts to help animals and people in crisis, RedRover has created a list of resources to support people and pets during the novel coronavirus pandemic.